We mortals seem to be real good at complicating the simple. Our more light-hearted topic today is diet. Sadly many men and women who I know and love are fat to the point of health crisis. It is not easy separating the truth from all the fluff out there on eating. I will attempt to do that in a relatively quick manner.
First off anything that says diet is a temporary thing that sacrifices food choice and quantity to lose weight. No diet works in the long term. Period. In fact you should not diet. Diets tend to rob you of muscle mass so that when you finally fall off the diet you end up fatter due to having less muscle to help burn energy. This villainous cycle continues indefinitely as you diet and fail repeatedly. I suspect this is what the health and exercise industry capitalizes on, you as a repeat customer for their products.
What you need instead is a true lifestyle change that you know you can stick to til old age and death. What does it matter if you are fit and miserable for 5 years if in your older age you cannot stick to the plan and get fat and sick? Small but useful changes are key. So here are some bullets:
- Increase background activity. Walk more, stand more, be more active. Routine and consistent activity will burn more calories for you.
- Eat to satisfaction. Never deprive yourself of good food. Good food is meats, vegetables, and basic starches like potatoes, rice etc.
- Eat simply. Packaged foods are full of chemicals and oils that cost the company less to make but do your health no good. No bread out there is good that I have seen. Make your own bread with simple natural ingredients if you have to. Natural food is king.
- Fat is good if it is a natural fat. Fear no fat from meat or dairy especially.
- Exercise in a manner that is gentle to the body. Get the blood flowing but not to the point that you hate working out. Simple stretches and calistenstics are just fine.
These are just a few pointers to get started down the road. A healthy body supports a healthy mind and does not drag on the spirit.